Monday, December 1

The First Memory Monday

There is Mixtape Monday, but I am quite lazy and don't really have the patience to make mixtapes.
So I thought I'd do something nostalgic on my Mondays, because after all Memory Monday is alliteration.
Once, when I was small, it rained, I mean it really pored, for what I remember as weeks, but was really only days,
It rained so much and so forcefully that I couldn't do my favorite outside activity, swing and sing songs while flying throw the air. this made me sad, I prayed for something fantastic to come out of this wretched rain storm.
Finally after such a long while it stoped raining, and the sun came out, and the most vibrant rainbow appeared, a full, across the sky, double decker rainbow.
I ran outside, without my shoes, in my princess dress and super hero cape, and started running down my street, the damp sidewalk cold under my bare feet. I ran past the well known landmarks of my childhood, the spiral mailbox, Paul's cactus, the crab apple tree, the white house, I ran as far as I could will myself to go, past my boundaries, I ran out into the world.
The whole time I was running, I stared at this vibrant rainbow, waiting to see the end, find that pot of gold,and when I had run seven houses down the street, seven houses into the world, I stoped. The rainbow was moving with me, it followed me in the sky, I ran back to my house, and the rainbow never moved, it stayed fixed against the gray sky, even when everything around me moved, even when I was seven houses from safety, it was painted across the sky, in the same spot. I ran back and forth between my house,and the edge of my world and the rainbow was always fixed in the same spot.
I don't remember how this sudden realization impacted my life, how knowing I could never reach the end of the rainbow changed me. All I remember is after a bit I skipped home, with my frozen feet and picked up all the worms from the sidewalk, and threw them back to the grass, back home, so they wouldn't dry out and die.


and in case you need some tunes while reading my rant, check out Bright Eyes

No comments: